By 2050, according to Pew Research Projections, about 20 percent of the U.S. population will be over the age of 65. This is an increase of 7 percent, from the current 13 percent of the population.
Many conditions have symptoms similar to dementia. Strokes, depression, excessive long-term alcohol consumption, infections, hormonal disorders, nutritional deficiencies and brain tumors can cause dementia-like symptoms. Many of these conditions can be treated, so it is important to differentiate dementia from other conditions.
Statistics show that only about 10% of Americans die suddenly. The remaining 90% of deaths are characterized by a protracted life-threatening illness. The odds are that most us will be faced with…
As I looked around the yoga room, a 40-year-old man held a handstand in the front row. Behind him a woman in her sixties stood on one leg in a difficult pose called Warrior 3, the rest of her body suspended in space.
When it comes to retirement planning, most people only think about their golden years. These are the years when they have time to travel, spend more time with family, and enjoy leisurely activities.
Meanwhile, little thought is given to the last decade of life. That period is when one’s health starts to fail, dependence on adult children is required and assisted living or long-term care can become a reality.
Planning for this phase of retirement is critical. It not only determines one’s quality of life in the twilight years,
On many days, I arrive at school in time to say good morning to a young father who holds one child by the hand as he pushes a toddler in a stroller. One such recent morning, we both arrived as the sky opened up to shower us with liquid blessings.